05 Aug Superfood Muffins
Ya’ll won’t go back to a regular blueberry after you taste our superfood muffins. If you’re the mom always trying to get the “green stuff” in, I feel you! And sometimes, I just don’t want to fight. My kids eating zucchini is like fighting with a bunch of crazy monkeys – I’m pretty sure it’s a texture thing with squash. BUT, one way they don’t fight with me is through baking with zucchini. They gobble these things right up!
Not only did I use a vegetable in this recipe, but I also used a freakin’ immune boostin’ ‘change your life’ type of supplement – REISHI! Such a great + potent mushroom that has health benefits we dream of having! Reishi is an edible form of the medicinal mushroom that are considered an adaptogenic herb, This helps your body deal with the negative side effects of stress. And of course, we throw in some berries, but not just ANY berries, but GOJI BERRIES!
If you’ve never bought goji berries they are usually sold in dry form in the same isle as supplements. They contain a very high level of antioxidants and all essential amino acids. They have been studied to be beneficial for eye health, cancer prevention, diabetes, immune function, and anti- aging (Can I get an AMEN?!)
Goji berries are rich in selenium, zinc, iron, protein, vitamin A, potassium, and calcium. They are the BOMB. My kids eat them like raisins, so I’m just going to throw a handful in the mix! Plus, dark chocolate chips. Duh.
- 1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Zucchini Chopped
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tsp Reishi Powder
- 1/4 Cup Goji Berries (or more!)
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (or more!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Chop zucchini up into slices to fit into a food processor. Using the food processor, shred the zucchini down into tiny pieces.
- In a bowl, add all of the ingredients together, except the goji berries and chocolate chips.
- Mix with a electric mixer until it's mixed thoroughly.
- Fold in chocolate chips + goji berries into the mix. If you want to use more of either, please do!
- Line a muffin tin with silicon cupcake holders or parchment cupcake holders, fill them 3/4 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean!