20 Mar Raisin Veggie Bread
There are probably 1000 different ways to make a raisin bread. Since we are currently having to quarantine and practice social distancing due to Coronavirus, I’m trying to make meals and snacks ahead of time with the nutrition as the main focus. As we approach St. Patricks Day, I wanted to make my nana’s traditional Irish Soda Bread. To be honest, it’s quite bland and packed heavy with gluten. Carrying on the tradition of the main ingredient being raisins, I have a bread sweetened with whole foods and loaded with vegetables(carrots and zucchini) + healthy fats! Don’t fear the butter, the fats will sustain you. If you can’t tolerate dairy, try coconut oil. It will make you feel better about handing your kid a “treat” during a time where immunity is crucial. Plus, this bread will easily last you throughout the week while your kids are home from school and you may be working from home. It’s nice to have simple grab and go options so you aren’t cooking all day every day. I love to top this with almond butter to make it even more filling and control the pantry raid over spring break.
To make life easier, I prefer a silicone bundt pan and a food processor. Nobody wants to spend and hour shredding veggies and scrubbing the heck out of dishes.
Here are some other make ahead in bulk options to get you through the week
- 1 Cup Oats Organic,Sprouted Optional
- 2 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut Unsweetened
- 1 Banana
- 3/4 Cup Raisins Organic
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
- 3 Eggs Whisked
- 1 Zucchini Grated
- 2 Carrots Grated
- 6 Tbsp Butter or Coconut OIl Grass Fed, Salted
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup Pure, Grade B
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a food processor, shred carrots and zucchini.
- Add eggs, vanilla, butter, banana, and maple syrup. Pulse
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients: Almond meal, oats, chia seeds, coconut, raisins, cinnamon, baking soda.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and immediately pour into a bundt pan (or cupcakes) and into the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean