25 Mar Grilled Romaine Caesar (gf/df)
Once you try grilled romaine, it will win you over every time and make you feel like a grill master. Yes, cool crisp caesar salad is refreshing and all, but this grilled caesar gives you the fulfillment of savory. Topped with some grilled chicken, homemade garlicky gluten free croutons, and a creamy caesar dressing, this is a winner dinner in our house. The presentation is so beautiful that I encourage you to make this for your guests.
Benefits of Romaine Lettuce
This lettuce is packed with calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K (boosts bone density), and vitamin A, folate, and beta carotene. It is low in calories, yet high in water, minerals, and fiber to aid in good digestion.
Here are some tips when grilling romaine.
- Cut the lettuce lengthwise (vertical) to keep everything connected to the core
- Spray the grill with avocado oil. I prefer Chosen Foods because it tested ethically and doesn’t contain any propellants or fillers.
- Keep the heat on medium high
- Place each romaine head perpendicular to the grill grates so you get those pretty char lines.
I love Primal Kitchen caesar dressing made with organic ingredients and avocado oil. Feel free to make your own but I’m all about easy while keeping a clean nutrient profile. Tag us on Facebook or Instagram when you make this grilled romaine caesar salad!
Grilled Romaine Caesar
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Red Onion
- Avocado Oil Chosen Foods, Spray
- 1 Lemon
- Chicken (Optional)
- 1 Bottle Caesar Dressing Primal Kitchen
Gluten Free Croutons
- 3 Slices Bread Gluten Free, Canyon Bakehouse
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- Garlic Salt
- Preheat oven to 350* (for croutons)
- Wash romaine and dry completely. Cut vertically (think lengthwise) into portions.
- Heat up grill to medium high heat and grease the burners with avocado oil (higher melting point).
- Cut red onion into rings.
- Lightly Spray lettuce and onion with avocado oil. Add small sprinkle of salt.
- Grill romaine for 3 minutes on one side, pressing down with tongs to get a nice sear. Flip and grill 2 minutes on the other side. Grill onions until tender.
- Remove from grill, add a light squeeze of lemon juice, and top with chicken, onion, and croutons.
- Once cooled, drizzle caesar dressing over the top.
- Cut up bread into cubes.
- Toss the bread with olive oil and garlic salt until the olive oil is absorbed.
- Spread the cubes evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until they are a crisp, golden brown.