12 Feb GOOT – Natural Ear Infection Remedy
When your child is in pain, it’s really tough to see as a parent. You want to do whatever it takes to make them better. My daughter was battling a simple cold and one night she woke up tugging on her ear. First thing that popped in my head is an ear infection. Later that day, I took her in and confirmed it was an ear infection.
And then here comes the antibiotic prescription. Did you know that most ear infections are actually viral and not bacterial? And it just blew my mind that they would just assume it was bacterial, especially because antibiotic use should be taken seriously.
From my knowledge, it’s one of those things you should wait out. If it’s viral and you decide to treat it with antibiotics, it won’t work AND the antibiotics ruin your immune system/gut when you’re body is trying to heal. So, what’s a mama to do?
GOOT is pretty much olive oil with minced garlic. Garlic is known to be both antiviral and antibacterial, so I like to think of it as killing two birds with one stone. Olive oil is anti-inflammatory and can help soothe the ear ache. This has been a life saver for us. I gave her a couple of drops 2-3x per day and the next day, she woke up feeling brand new! Before I could make it to the doctor, I also gave her some ibuprofen to help with the pain. It’s okay, if you can’t do everything natural. This was a perfect example of taking the best of both worlds.
If you want more natural remedies for ear infections & an understanding of ear infections, you can check them out on a past blog I wrote about natural remedies and ear infections.
How To Make Homemade GOOT
- Mince up 2-3 cloves of organic garlic and let it sit out for 10 minutes. It’s also best if you crush them after you chop it up.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of organic olive oil in a skillet on LOW HEAT.
- Put the garlic in with the olive oil and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a cheesecloth, strain out the garlic from the olive oil. *Make sure there are no garlic pieces in the oil.*
- Let the olive oil cool down. You can use your forearm to test the warmth of it.
- Do a couple of drops in the ear for relief.
I make a fresh batch of GOOT every 24 hours.
*Never put anything in your ear if you have a ruptured ear drum.*
Have you ever used GOOT?