25 Jul Cuban Picadillo
Cuban Picadillo is the ultimate traditional comfort food! Unlike American comfort food, picadillo is made with plenty of vegetables in a savory delectable tomato wine base, a tangy punch of olives, and a hint of natural sweetness from raisins, YES RAISINS (Don’t knock it till ya try it) My kids LOVE this meal and it gets more flavorful the longer it marinades as leftovers! Raisins are known to be heavily sprayed with pesticides so make sure you buy organic. I prefer Costco or Bar 3 beef for quality meat. I look for terms like grass fed, organic, free range, fed and finished. You can even chop all the potatoes, onions, and peppers the day before as a time saver. If you love spice like me (although not traditional Cuban way of cooking) then go heavier on the hot sauce!! This is an impressively easy ONE SKILLET weeknight recipe that can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger crowd.. I usually deliver this to mamas with new babies because it’s different, healthy, and allergy friendly.
- 1 lb Grass-Fed Beef
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Onion Medium, Chopped
- 2 Green Bell Peppers Chopped ( feel free to throw in another color)
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Crushed tomatoes We recommend Muir Glenn Organic
- 1/2 Tsp Hot Sauce Frank's is a great option
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes Diced
- 1/4 Cup Raisins Organic, no sugar added
- 1/2 Cup Green Olives Pimiento stuffed,(more or less as desired)
- 1 Tbsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 Tbsp pepper
- 1/2 cup organic peas Canned or Frozen
- 1 fried egg Free Range Organic to Garnish
- Cut and dice all your veggies before hand.
- Heat olive oil on low heat in your skillet (I prefer cast iron) and add potatoes. After 10 minutes add onion, garlic, and peppers stirring for another 10 minutes.
- Add the beef + S&P to skillet, stirring until brown and breaking up any large chunks. Drain off excess fat
- Add crushed tomatoes, wine, olives, raisins,(peas=optional) and hot sauce. Stir and allow all the juices to simmer with the meat for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the picadillo to a large bowl and serve Buen Provecho!!!